Announcing the 2014 Cobfoolery Finalists: Amateur Classic Category

The following, presented almost in alphabetical order, are the finalists in the "Amateur Classic" category of the 2014 Cobfoolery Contest.  More details to come.  (Click Pics to Biggie-Size)

Christopher Chopin

Chris said about his pipe:
This is my Cobking.  It was simple to make, and didn’t require the skill I’m positive many other entries will this year.  I myself had plans for something a bit fancier, but ended up making this pipe for the simple reason that I wanted one.  I’ve got Viking bowls a plenty, and I’ve seen meerschaum ones out there.  But I love a cob, and I love a Viking, and it’s as simple as that.

To make this pipe, I sacrificed one of the many new old stock Viking bowls available from Swisher’s surplus on eBay for its threads, and topped it flat just above the cut off threads.  I used Titebond III to attach that threaded piece onto the base of this Country Gentleman and clamped it.  I then drilled the airway through the bottom of the bowl in successive sizes until I reached 5/16”.  To my mind this will be a fantastic cob because it won’t need mudding, can be cleaned easier than any other, can be switched to a straight pipe at will, or even some other brands (Kool Smoke?  Dry Smoke?  Something like that)  And with my travel/camping pipe, my Viking, I don’t have to go without a cob or carry a whole ‘nother pipe to have one.

Thanks again!  This was lots of fun to do.


Daniel Halton Billings

Daniel said about his pipe:
I started out with a basic bent General and purchased a 3" straight red swirl Lucite spear stem for it as I felt a shorter and more simple stem in a such a color scheme would be best for the overall feel and balance.  I then carefully heated and bent the stem so that the angle of the stem itself is the same angle as the top of the bowl. After finishing work on the stem, I then proceeded to stain the bowl itself.  I used three different types of dye on this cob and allowed each coat a different amount of drying time - ranging from a few minutes to over 24 hours - to allow for a rich and detailed texture with notes of tan, mahogany, black, and red.  This, in turn, worked perfectly with the red swirls in the stem.

David Galehouse

David said about his pipe:
This "Kornwoodie" was made from a MM MacArthur, solid oak, and the tip from a Swisher Sweets cigarillo. 
I love those little cigars. Especially the soft wood tips. So the idea behind the reversed tenon is that when I chew up the bit too much, I can smoke another Swisher and put it right onto the pipe!



Dodif Rendon

Dodif said about his pipe:
It's called "The PopCorn Cob" and resembles the classic shape of a bent billiard.
I used a Missouri Meerchaum Washington pipe for the bowl. I cut a lot of the top off and filed it down. Then used a Missouri Meerchaum Legend to shape the top piece and the bottom plug. Tons of filing to make the top and bottom piece. Also shortened the shank, and used a forever stem that I bent myself. If you need anymore pics just let me know. Thanks for looking. -Dodif
 




















Tim Roschy

Tim, being a man of few words, said this about his pipe:
Here is the "Burnt Devil Cob." I also posted a vid titled Cobfoolery entry. Thanks for another great contest.

 

 

 

 


Jacob Hill

Jacob said about his pie:
The Emperor’s Ear was built using The MacArthur Cobfoolery Kit and is based on the MacArthur 5-Star pipe although I do not prefer the 5-Star due to the fact that it comes with an unfiltered stem. This pipe features a fire-darkened wooden shank and a Walker Briar Works Forever stem. The bowl was plastered, sanded, and finished in Dark Walnut stain. 
Jacob talks about both of his entries in the video below.  FF to 2:00 to see this entry.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment